How do I recover hit and run compensation in Florida?

After a hit and run, you might feel as though you have no options to recover compensation for your injuries and property damage. And it is true, recovering hit and run compensation might not be easy, but you do have options.

An attorney from Coffey Trial Law can help you determine your options and get you the compensation you need and deserve. Call today: 954-541-3194.

How can you recover compensation after a hit and run in Florida?

You have four options for compensation after a hit and run in Florida: 

Personal Injury Protection Coverage

Because Florida is a no-fault state, the law requires all drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. PIP will cover a portion of your medical bills and lost wages.

Unfortunately, PIP coverage only pays up to your policy limit (usually $10,000) and does not cover property damage or noneconomic damages such as pain and suffering or mental anguish.

Note: You must visit the doctor within 14 days of your accident to be able to recover PIP benefits.

Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage

If you have uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage on your auto insurance policy, it will cover your damages if you have been in a collision with a hit and run driver. This is because the insurer will treat the hit and run driver as a driver with no insurance.

UM/UIM coverage is optional in Florida. If you opt to purchase it, your coverage limits will be the same as your bodily injury liability coverage policy. This means that you will likely have at least $25,000 for your injuries.

You can purchase bodily injury and/or property damage UM/UIM coverage.

Health Insurance

Some health insurance policies will cover your medical expenses if you have been injured in an auto accident.

Some other health insurance policies specifically exclude coverage for injuries that resulted from an auto accident.

Check your statement of coverage as well as the exclusions listed in your health insurance policy to see if auto accident injuries are covered or excluded. Your personal injury lawyer can advise you on this.

The Other Driver 

You can recover compensation from the hit and run driver if law enforcement is able to find him.

You can either file a claim with the hit and run driver’s insurer or file a lawsuit against the driver directly. You will still need to prove the driver was at-fault, but in many cases, an insurer or court will assume the driver was behaving negligently if s/he fled the scene of an accident.

Get Help Recovering Compensation

If you have been in an accident with a hit and run driver, you need help from a Fort Lauderdale auto accident lawyer. Even though you pay your premiums every month, getting adequate compensation from your own insurer can be much more difficult than it should be.

At Coffey Trial Law, we will give your case the attention it deserves. We will negotiate with your insurer or the at-fault driver’s insurer if you find him/her.

Call us today at 954-541-3194 to schedule a free consultation to get help recovering compensation.